Bragdon vs Doctor Ben's weathering powders

Bragdon vs Doctor Ben's weathering powders

Postby bilas68 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:50 am

Which one do you like better?
Doug Foscale uses Bragdon's. Brian Nolan in Scott's DVD used Doctor Ben's. I would like to give a shot to one or another. Only which one.

Vilius
bilas68
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Re: Bragdon vs Doctor Ben's weathering powders

Postby robert_seckler » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:10 am

Vilius,
I like Bragdon's as they have a adhesive in them to help stick.
And have a nice color selection.

That's my 2 cents.

Robert
Dutchess & Hudson Valley RR
robert_seckler
Master of the MRRForum 200+ Posts!

Postby ndwolf68 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:22 am

I have the Bragdon's W/P from Doug, the sample box and it works great. I don't know much about Dr. Ben's but I've seen it used by several folks, including Pelle Soeberg in his new book. I will eventually buy a set of the rust powders, to try them out... other than the adhesive in the Bragdon's, I don't know what the diff is... :-??

Norm
ndwolf68

Postby CVSNE » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:50 am

mscwolf wrote:I have the Bragdon's W/P from Doug, the sample box and it works great. I don't know much about Dr. Ben's but I've seen it used by several folks, including Pelle Soeberg in his new book. I will eventually buy a set of the rust powders, to try them out... other than the adhesive in the Bragdon's, I don't know what the diff is... :-??

Norm

Norm,

If and when I find the Doctor's stuff I put it in the giveaway pile for you. (yes, I have some of it at home)

Marty
CVSNE

Postby mecrr » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:21 pm

Bragdon's rule
david
David Stickney
living in Northern California and modeling the MeC during the 1940's - a great decade to be born in!
mecrr
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby bilas68 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:26 pm

robert_seckler wrote:I like Bragdon's as they have a adhesive in them to help stick.

Dr. Ben's website states that his pigments have adhesive added.

CVSNE wrote:If and when I find the Doctor's stuff I put it in the giveaway pile for you. (yes, I have some of it at home)

Doesn't sound good for Doctor's stuff :)

Vilius
bilas68
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby LaRueD » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:46 pm

... Bragdon's.
Learning and creativity begin at the edge of your comfort zone.
LaRueD
The 100+ Posting Club!
The 100+ Posting Club!

Postby Night Train » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:17 pm

I think all weathering powders are the same and they're made from the same material. That material is the dry pigment used to color concrete. It's sold in Home Depot and building supply stores.

To the best of my knowledge there's no "adhesive" is the product. It sticks because of the fineness of the powder. These colors are rocks and minerals that have been pulverized in a ball mill to a face powder consistency.

When I was at Disney in Japan they used these dry pigments to color the concrete they built the rocks out of. They used it as a mold release. Some of it was incorporated into the wet cement after the latex molds were removed. They varied the color and intensity by washing some of the powder off with a high pressure hose.

I think this is the stuff Joe Fugate used when he demonstrates Zip Texturing in his videos.
Dave Frary
http://www.mrscenery.com
Check out my Blog! Something new every week.
Night Train

Postby rebel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:06 pm

bilas68 wrote:
robert_seckler wrote:I like Bragdon's as they have a adhesive in them to help stick.

Dr. Ben's website states that his pigments have adhesive added.

CVSNE wrote:If and when I find the Doctor's stuff I put it in the giveaway pile for you. (yes, I have some of it at home)

Doesn't sound good for Doctor's stuff :)

Vilius
Dr. Obriens white is the best for highlighting but I find Bragdons supperior to the other brands (and I have tried a few others)for all else but then Bragdon dose not make a white.
rebel
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Postby rebel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:16 pm

Night Train wrote:I think all weathering powders are the same and they're made from the same material. That material is the dry pigment used to color concrete. It's sold in Home Depot and building supply stores.

To the best of my knowledge there's no "adhesive" is the product. It sticks because of the fineness of the powder. These colors are rocks and minerals that have been pulverized in a ball mill to a face powder consistency.

When I was at Disney in Japan they used these dry pigments to color the concrete they built the rocks out of. They used it as a mold release. Some of it was incorporated into the wet cement after the latex molds were removed. They varied the color and intensity by washing some of the powder off with a high pressure hose.

I think this is the stuff Joe Fugate used when he demonstrates Zip Texturing in his videos.
Joe uses tempera and yes they all work but some take alot more material to get it to stick and I have some that did not stick well at all but usually in one color or another for some reason. Joes way of zip coloring is why I bought my tempera dry pigments, still havent found the right formula for my earth though and it my be because I use paint as a first coat adhesive.
rebel
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Next

Return to The Craftsman's Workshop