Railway Design Associates?

Railway Design Associates?

Postby rpdylan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:48 pm

has anyone ordered/built anything from this company: "Railway Design Associates"? I was looking at "H & M Toothpick and Spindle"- looked nice and seemed rather inexpensive.
the website I was on was: railwaydesign.com
Thanks!
bob c.
rpdylan
Master of the MRRForum 200+ Posts!

Re: Railway Design Associates?

Postby deemery » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:00 pm

These kits take a bit of work, but I like the designs. The big problem, in my view, are the window and particularly the door castings are a bit crude. I've ordered several times from them on eBay with no problems.

dave
Modeling PA & New England in the 1890s from Northern VA, because those little voices told me to...
deemery
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Postby rebel » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:29 pm

I don't know how many of the designs were done in house, I do know that Ertl sold some of the designs but forgot if they produced them for Ertl or they bought them from them. I have a few from the Ertl ones and have talked to others that have built their kits, only negative I got was a few of their fits were not perfect but nothing a mid-level modeler could not fix.
rebel
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Postby DaveInTheHat » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:21 pm

I built one and I have a couple more that I want to build. They do take a little bit of work, nothing really too difficult. Mostly just fitting parts together. I think they're really nice kits.

The next time I build one of the brick buildings I'm going to miter the corners. I think it would make it look a lot better. Here's a link to pictures I took from start to finish.

http://public.fotki.com/daveinthehat/da ... aft-boats/
DaveInTheHat
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby DarkTerritory » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:03 am

They were originally RDA kits that Ertl bought. I particularly like their small mill kit, I have several of them and they are easy to kitbash into larger structures. The walls are almost modular and with a little filing go together nicely. I also have one of their Hermanson Woolen Mill kits in resin that I will build eventually, I'm investigating building it as a thick-relief building flat for up against the backdrop use.

Like Dave I've bought them over Ebay and had very good luck with them. The kits do need a bit of work but build up into nice structures. Mitering the corners should make them look even better.
Craig Bisgeier
www.HousatonicRR.com

Check out my line of 19th century resin railcar kits at
www.AmesvilleShops.com
DarkTerritory
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby rebel » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:15 am

DarkTerritory wrote:They were originally RDA kits that Ertl bought. I particularly like their small mill kit, I have several of them and they are easy to kitbash into larger structures. The walls are almost modular and with a little filing go together nicely. I also have one of their Hermanson Woolen Mill kits in resin that I will build eventually, I'm investigating building it as a thick-relief building flat for up against the backdrop use.

Like Dave I've bought them over Ebay and had very good luck with them. The kits do need a bit of work but build up into nice structures. Mitering the corners should make them look even better.
Sounds like you are being nice with your little filing and lack of mitered corners. Let's face it, if you have a good enough craftsman, almost any kit can look good. Now for the positive, they have unique structures without the need for kit-bashing although I have seen ones that have been kit-bashed.
rebel
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Postby krzyvolfan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:00 pm

The RDA kits were designed by Rod Guthrie, who died several years ago from Cancer. If I understand correctly his widow and son still sell on Ebay some of the RDA items. A few were sold to Bill Bradford who also pedals his wares on Ebay. I have built some of both the kits offered by RDA and Mr. Bradford. I like the Owl Creek Station best, I think Mr Bradford has that one now.
Tom Gregory
iuka

CORINTH & COUNCE RR HO 82-86
OYSTER SHELL & Dooley...On30 October 1941
North Tennessee Railway. 1960
krzyvolfan
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby bparrish » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:48 pm

When you get the kit that you choose measure up the windows if you don't like them and look at either Tichy or Grandt line. Tichy will sell on line but Grandt still goes through hobby shops. Grandt line does have the dimensions on their web site so you can order exactly what you want. Train Shop in Santa Clara California keeps a complete line of Grandt and they will take phone orders. Call on Tuesday (closed Monday) and you have your stuff by Friday. Ask for Karen.... she is really on top of things. They have no web site. I have no affiliation with them but living in Idaho I get most stuff sent in and they are super.

see ya
Bob
Never bet on a horse named Tripod....
bparrish
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby rpdylan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:40 pm

It looks like they have an online store- "railwaydesign.com"- selling direct. I was wondering if anyone ordered from them there? Looks like a lot of kit for 69.95! Even if they are not perfect for close inspection- looks like they would look good towards the back of the layout...
bob c.
rpdylan

Postby rebel » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:00 pm

rpdylan wrote:It looks like they have an online store- "railwaydesign.com"- selling direct. I was wondering if anyone ordered from them there? Looks like a lot of kit for 69.95! Even if they are not perfect for close inspection- looks like they would look good towards the back of the layout...
bob c.
They are fine for the foreground, just wanted you to be aware of the extra work.
rebel
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Next

Return to The Craftsman's Workshop