Scratch'd Flywheel

Scratch'd Flywheel

Postby eTraxx » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:21 am

I read through Ken Hamilton's SBS on making a Venetian Blind and was prompted to share this:

I needed a flywheel for my O scale Oil Engine and Pump. The problem was that it needed to be 3/4" dia (that's 3ft in O scale) .. and for the life of me .. I couldn't find anything. I finally got a set of old HO locomotive drivers from my buddy Gary. They were a brass tire with a plastic center pressed in. I popped the rim off .. filed the flange off and I ended up with a ring that measured .750"x.110". That scaled to 3ft x 5-1/4" in O scale. Great. The only problem was that there was knurling on the inner surface of the ring. I fixed that by super-gluing a strip of .020" styrene over the knurling. That accomplished two things .. 1) Hid the knurling and 2) supplied a place for the styrene arms to adhere to.

First thing I did was draw the center of my flywheel in Sketchup. In the drawing below I drew a circle .640" dia. That's the inside measurement of the rim (with the styrene strip). I made the arms from .022" x .066" styrene strip so I drew these in. The hub I made from 1.8" tubing .. drew that .. and finally indicated the 3/16" dia reinforcing ring.

Here's all the bits cut out. You can see the brass tire with the styrene strip cemented on the inside. Evergreen styrene tubing telescopes - odd numbered sizes of round tubing telescope into next odd numbered size. Even numbered sizes of round tubing telescope into the next even numbered size. That's why I used the 3/16" tubing. I cut these .020" wide. They will reinforce where the arms cement to the 1/8" hub. The 1/8" hub is in two parts .. one is .125" long and one .145" long. Finally, the .022" x .066" strips.

Moving the camera back a bit and you can see the set-up. I glued the Sketchup printout to my marble work surface (nice and flat). I used the glue stick to do that.

I first used the school glue-stick again and glued the 1/8" x .145" hub to the center of the drawing. I used this length simply because I wanted the hub to stick out 1/8" on either side of the flywheel. The .140" is simply that 1/8" + the thickness of the arms. The strips of styrene that make up the arms are simply glued to the 1/8" hub. A small round-file stroked across the ends makes them fit. I used the Tenax for cement. Let that set up a few minutes and dropped the 3/16" ring over the hub and cemented everything well.

I used a razor-blade to snip off the arms even with that .640" circle on the paper and then when it had dried, popped it all loose. Flipping the center over I added the other 1/8" tubing (.125" long) centered on the assembly and then dropped the other 3/16" ring over the hub and snuggled up against the arms and cemented everything well.

A slight filing of the arms and the assembly fit into the ring. I again used the Tenax to cement everything. I got it close .. centered one arm by eye .. cemented that .. flipped to the opposite side .. centered THAT arm to the ring .. and continued until the center was cemented to the ring. With that dry I came back with my super-glue and my hand-dandy applicator and reinforced each joint. This makes a small fillet which is fine with me.

Finished flywheel ...
Edward Traxler
Deep River Railroad
L&CRR on Twitter

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"
eTraxx
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Re: Scratch'd Flywheel

Postby ACL1504 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:33 am

Ed,

Very well done, looks great! :ymapplause:

Tom :D
ACL1504
ASPIRE TO INSPIRE BEFORE YOU EXPIRE!

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com
ACL1504
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby Night Train » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:53 am

A lot of work but the end result looks good. I love scratchbuilders and the creative process...
Dave Frary
http://www.mrscenery.com
Check out my Blog! Something new every week.
Night Train

Postby eTraxx » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:13 am

Tom and Dave, thank you. I was intimidated for a bit and kept putting it off. I finally figured how to break it down into the simple process I used in the SBS .. which seems to be the answer for this kind of stuff .. take something that seems complicated and break it down until each step is simple .. makes it lots easier!

Thought you guys might like to see the complete assembly. It's for my pump house and consists of the Oil Engine (compression ignition) and a water pump. Everything is built mostly from Evergreen styrene and bits and pieces from an old alarm clock. The gear is from a VCR sliced thin, center removed. The new center with the arms is a clock gear with the teeth filed off. The clutch between the two was added as an afterthought which caused problems as now the assembly is about 1/8" too long to fit in my pump house!. Ha. That's ok. My story now is that the pump house was originally built with a steam pump with steam fed from a boiler house 'somewhere else'. Later it was replaced with the Oil Engine and Pump .. but .. since they take up more room .. they had to extend the old 14'x14' pump house. Haven't done that yet .. but just adds to the 'fun'.

Here's the pump house the engine and pump will go into eventually. This is just a quick pic .. nothing is glued .. no roof, stairs etc.

The original plan is for the pump house to get water through the sluice gate shown here at the bottom level

Anyhoo .. here's an early concept for the extension. Figure the cement block would make it obvious that the building was extended.
Edward Traxler
Deep River Railroad
L&CRR on Twitter

eTraxx
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby DarkTerritory » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:07 am

Nice work Ed, gives me some ideas for some projects I have hanging around in the back of my mind...

I have GOT to learn how to use Sketchup!
Craig Bisgeier
www.HousatonicRR.com

Check out my line of 19th century resin railcar kits at
www.AmesvilleShops.com
DarkTerritory
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby eTraxx » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:56 am

Craig. I use it a LOT. If you goto YouTube there are a ton of tutorials on it. One of the big things is to group objects. What I mean is .. say you build an oil tank with timber supports. Sketchup is 'sticky' .. meaning every line and plane 'sticks' to the other one. If you make a timber .. say a 4"x8" .. make it .. then group it. That way it becomes a discrete object and will not stick to the others. That is one of the main problems early in the learning curve.

One of the cool things I like about it is that after completing a model you can make copies. Spin and flip them so you get a front, side, top view . Then you can switch the Camera from Perspective mode to Parallel mode then chose say 'front' from the Standard View menu. What you end up with is a perfect plan. If you designed it to scale (or rescale'd) you can print it off and use it to build directly on the plan using wax paper etc.

When you are copying something say from an old book, trying to figure out just which bit goes where can be difficult. The 'plans' in these books are often not a blueprint as such but a drawing subject to the ability of whoever originally drew it. With the 3D provided by Sketchup you can spin the object around and go .. "OH. That goes THERE" .. or .. "That needs to extend to there .." and so on. Good example is this Oil Tank I found in a book published in 1902. The plan is pretty complete

I used that to construct this Sketchup version ..

With that I can cut all my timbers exactly. Pretty sweet. One you save it you can later 'include' the object into other scenes. Again, the cool thing is that since each object is a discrete item you can move them around, spin them, move them up or down. Similar to using card-stock to mock-up but .. lots better IMO. Here's an example where I included the tank in an oil company scene I was playing with ..

Edward Traxler
Deep River Railroad
L&CRR on Twitter

eTraxx
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby DarkTerritory » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:49 am

Damn. You, Sir, owe me a kew keyboard, because I've ruined this one with drool! =p~ =p~ =p~

The grouping concept is new to me but I grasp it - that may definitely help me figure it out. Thank you.

I've tried several of the videos but I'm having a lot of trouble at the bottom of the learning curve. I really need to learn it for several reasons, not the least of which is I really want to get into 3-D printing and Sketchup is one of the better (least expensive) ways to create digital 3-D models that can be converted to STL (Stero-Lithography) files and fed into one of these machines.

I shall have to redouble my efforts.
Craig Bisgeier
www.HousatonicRR.com

Check out my line of 19th century resin railcar kits at
www.AmesvilleShops.com
DarkTerritory
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby Ken Hamilton » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks for the How-To. Nothing beats a nicely made scratchbuilt part.
Great stuff.
Ken Hamilton

visit http://www.wildharemodels.com
for custom photo-etched detail parts.

Photos: http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/
Photos of Wildhare Models products: http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/wildh ... le-models/
Ken Hamilton
Master of the MRRForum 200+ Posts!
Master of the MRRForum 200+ Posts!

Postby eTraxx » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:35 pm

Craig. Now that you mention 3D printing .........

I drew this little On18 critter in Sketchup ...

Which .. I've managed to get this far with ...

anyhoo .. here's the 3D printed parts I created in Sketchup then had printed ...

Sketchup drawing ..

That's the radiator at top, those round cup-shaped thingies are poling pockets, journals below them
Edward Traxler
Deep River Railroad
L&CRR on Twitter

eTraxx
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby LostSoul » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:43 pm

Edward, it looks good. What or who did your printing?

Dave D.
LostSoul
The Over 50 Posts Crowd
The Over 50 Posts Crowd

Next

Return to The Craftsman's Workshop