Pop, Pop, Poppity, Pop, Pop

Pop, Pop, Poppity, Pop, Pop

Postby timbob60 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:31 pm

Pop Gracins from Bar Mills, that is. As the three prople who read it remember, I did a build thread/kit critique on Model Tech Studio's "Repairman's Row", last year. I then swore off threads/critiques for all time. But things are kind of slow here this summer, so... Well, no build thread, since it's already built. but a critique anyway. I've heard Bar Mills take some shots over the years, but found the few structure kits I'd built by them. both enjoyable and well done. So, this year at Springfield I picked up a few of their more "diorama oriented" kits. Here is the first I built, and my observations/comments.
I found the kit extremely well done. Everything fit perfectly. The instructions, while not as detailed as those of FSM or SRMW, are on par with the instructions by FOS, Railroad Kits and several other kit producers, and certainly complete and well done enough to finish the kit.
Anyone who has built either FSM or SRMW kits, will tell you they hold your hand from opening the box to finishing the diorama. It appeaars that Bar Mills philosophy is more.....here's how we did our diorama, now go and do your own.......you'll apppreciate and enjoy it more. I like that philosophy....sometimes. This was one of those times. Generally, I have nothing but good things to say about this kit.......with two small caveats. One with this kit and one with Bar Mills kits in general. First, the kit was to have included two Bar Mills fence sections to complete the diorama. There were none in my kit. I know that kits with many pieces, produced in quantity, some parts can get forgotten. I'm also sure an e-mail to Bar Mills would have brought replacements quickly. But, a two minute trip to the parts drawer marked "Stairs, ladders and fencing" and I pulled out an unopened Bar Mills fence kit with four sections. I used all four on my diorama. Minor, and almost not worth mentioning. The only other gripe I could come up with is Bar Mills irritating (to me) habit of not telling in the instructions what colors they used on the pilot model shown in the build. Again, I think their philosophy is, use your imagination and dream up your own color schemes. You'll enjoy it more. Maybe, and being primarily a scratchbuilder, I do usually use my own colors. But sometimes, I like the colors they used on the pilot and would like to know what they are. Now, all that being said, they did include the building colors in this kit. It's just that they aren't consistent about doing this from kit to kit. Again, minor. All in all, it was a fun build, went quickly and well worth the cost of the kit. I look forward to their future offerings. Quality kit.....quality company.

100_3506a.jpg
100_3506a.jpg (228.58 KiB) Viewed 597 times

100_3507a.jpg
100_3507a.jpg (225.19 KiB) Viewed 597 times

100_3508a.jpg
100_3508a.jpg (246.64 KiB) Viewed 597 times

100_3509a.jpg
100_3509a.jpg (243.25 KiB) Viewed 597 times
timbob60
The 100+ Posting Club!
The 100+ Posting Club!

Re: Pop, Pop, Poppity, Pop, Pop

Postby timbob60 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:34 pm

And one more shot from the Barry cam:

100_3510a.jpg
100_3510a.jpg (252.21 KiB) Viewed 596 times

I'm out.
timbob60
The 100+ Posting Club!
The 100+ Posting Club!

Postby ACL1504 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:00 pm

Timbob60,

Very nicely done! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: The scene brings it all together. I was going to get the kit but have more now than I have the time to build and the room to plant them.

I do have several of the BM kits and always got them within five days of placing the order.

I did in fact read your thread on the "Repairman's Row". Very nice recovery on those structures also. I did a thread on the MTS Hermansson Factory. MTS is one manufacturer who can use a writer to help with the instructions.

Tom :D
ACL1504
ASPIRE TO INSPIRE BEFORE YOU EXPIRE!

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com
ACL1504
Forum Master
Forum Master

Postby DarkTerritory » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:06 pm

Timbo,Nice model and review. I for one found your postings honest and truthful about your experiences, and hoped you would continue to grace us with your build threads. Alas, it was not to be. But it's good to see you posting again and to know you are still building nice models.
Craig Bisgeier
www.HousatonicRR.com

Check out my line of 19th century resin railcar kits at
www.AmesvilleShops.com
DarkTerritory
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby NEMMRRC » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks for the review. I liked how the fence turned out.

Jaime
NEMMRRC
Over 7000 Posts!
Over 7000 Posts!

Postby rpdylan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:00 pm

Very nice build. What color/ type of paint is that green roof? Also (here we go!)-- That's a heck of a flat roof for those large skylights!! guess they ain't worried about the snowload!!! ha ha! :))
rpdylan
Master of the MRRForum 200+ Posts!
Master of the MRRForum 200+ Posts!

Postby timbob60 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:24 pm

Thank you, Tom, Craig, Jaime & Bob,
Tom... I remember your MTS build. It turned out incredible. Especially considering what you had to start with. I do enjoy your build threads. Keep them coming.

Craig...I don't do build threads mostly because, being a scratchbuilder, there often isn't any rhyme, reason or logical sequence to the way I build. I start projects, jump to others, come back to old ones. I'm just now doing a diorama with some structures I scratchbuilt five or six years ago. It would be an exercise in frustration trying to follow a build thread of mine. I will try to keep a thread on my kit builds tho. Maybe a scratchbuild too.

Jaime...Bar Mills fencing is really simple and pretty good looking too. Each section is laser cut as one piece. On this one, I just gave it a prime coat of Wally World grey primer. Then sponge dabbed on white acrylic craft paint. When dry, follow with a thin uneven coat of light A&I wash. that's it.

Bob...Loved your Jeffries Point. Turned out awesome. The green rolled roofing is Folk Art #723 Mystic Green craft paint, then toned down with Bragdon light gray weathering powder. I think they call it "Ash". I think the green is pretty close to old, faded green roll roofing I've seen in real life. I almost didn't use the skylights, but decided to include them. Maybe it's a southern garage. Actually. I think they were put on the model to let light in to show the interior detail without artificial lighting.

Geo2rge aka timbob60 :geek:
timbob60
The 100+ Posting Club!
The 100+ Posting Club!

Postby rebel » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:35 pm

Hey, just because we don't post dose not mean we don't watch. I have found there are a lot more lookers than participants!!!!! I see the that Bar mills likes to laser cut all it can, unfortunately there are times (like in the billboard supports) where I feel this is not a good idea as they are too fragile and it is hard to hide the burn marks, even with paint sometimes. I remember your other build by the way, thought I commented but may not have as sometimes when I write I will hit a wrong button and lose the data and rarely will I go back and do it again.
rebel
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Postby Zephyrus52246 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Very nice build. I think you are correct that the skylights were meant to show the interior detail better.

Jeff
Zephyrus52246
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Postby gnatshop » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:35 pm

I like it! :-bd :-bd
Very good build and a great review, you covered all the good and somewhat bad points explicitely.
That'a the kind of information we all like to hear! :D :D
David Workman
"My family tree has a tire swing on it!"
gnatshop@gmail.com
http://www.picasaweb.google.com/Gnatshop
gnatshop
Forum Master
Forum Master

Next

Return to The Craftsman's Workshop